Thursday, October 15, 2015

Thanksgiving Coming!


I'm going to keep a kind of diary about preparing for Thanksgiving and what I do, one day I may forget so this will help me too. There are going to be between 37 and 40 people, I think.
I've posted a picture of Chris steaming the turkey last year, it's a great relief to report that he will be doing it again this year! His turkeys are so moist, we use 13lb turkeys and he has space for two.
I do one in the oven. I have ordered 3 turkeys from Nichols, 13 lbs each, they looked a bit surprised and told me I was the first to order. .

Ingredients 
2  Turkeys 13 lbs each (I use Plainville turkeys which are all natural, no hormones and antibiotic free)
1 whole orange
3 onions with skins
4 apples unpeeled
large jug red wine
1 whole celery

Directions

 2 x 13 lb Plainville turkeys,  stuff a whole orange in each turkey.
On the third rack put a silver foil pan, filled with onions with the skins on and quartered, apples sliced in half, celery and a large dollop of red wine.  Pour more red wine around the turkeys and check during smoking time to make sure that none of the liquids dry out.  Add more wine during  cooking time.


Smoke the turkey for 4 hours, check to make sure the turkey is tender.







2 comments: